Welcome and Introduction

 

Salve, and welcome, my friends to Buffed History: Health and Fitness Across the Ages!

My name is James Mace. I am an author and historian, with twenty-nine novels (at the time of this post), set in my two favourite eras: Ancient Rome and the British Empire. Two of my greatest passions are history and physical fitness. The subject of this blog is anything related to physical fitness (training, nutrition, healthy / unhealthy habits) across the ages. 


Full disclosure: I am not a doctor, kinesiologist, nutritionist, physical therapist, or trained fitness professional. This blog is for informational and entertainment purposes only, delving into how our ancestors stayed fit...or in many cases did not! When relevant, I'll share aspects of my own fitness journey, which like many of you has been a roller coaster spanning most of my life. If you'll indulge me for a moment, this is my current 'work-in-progress', from May 2019, when after a series of years-long health issues I was around 280 pounds (at just 5'8"), to May 2023, at 206 pounds:


I prefer the term 'work-in-progress' to 'before and after'

A little about me: I live in Boise, Idaho, USA, though I'm a lifelong love of Roman history, and have a passion for all things British. I'm told I was born on the wrong side of the pond! I began as a writer in 2001, publishing articles for bodybuilding websites and a, sadly, now-defunct magazine called Hardcore Muscle. I became an author in 2006, after writing the initial draft to my first novel, Soldier of Rome: The Legionary, as cathartic escapism when deployed to Iraq the previous year.

As for my physical fitness routine: I lift four times a week, two of these being Body Pump classes at Axiom Fitness. I also take yoga once a week. Though I like maintaining muscular size, cardio is by far the most important. As Simon Miller (a British pro-wrestler with a fantastically fun and light-hearted YouTube Fitness Channel) once said, "Your bulging biceps do no good if you're in a box!" I perform cardio five times a week, usually forty-five minutes to an hour, except on Sundays, where my long workout lasts two to three hours. In the summer, my favourite cardio activities are road cycling and hiking the Boise Foothills trails. Many posts within this blog will look into how strength training and cardiovascular fitness was incorporated across history.


My other hobbies include Video Games and Table-Top Role-Playing Games (like Dungeons & Dragons); albeit that is not the purpose of this blog. Unless readers say they'd like a second blog about TTRPGs or current and classic video games!


Dumbbells and D&D Dice, two of my favourite things! 😁

My question now for you, dear readers, is what would you like to see from this blog? What topics related to health and fitness across the ages catch your interest? Shall we discuss the earliest gymnasiums? How about what gladiators ate and how they stayed fit? Or how soldiers from ancient to modern times stayed fit? Perhaps health and hygiene during the Middle Ages? How the Industrial Revolution actually led to a decrease in life expectancy? There are many possibilities! Let me know in the comments below. Or please feel free to email me at: james@legionarybooks.netSubject: Buffed History Blog


My intent is to post weekly, though I ask for your patience as I get this blog up and running, working around my current schedule. I have a self-imposed (inflicted?) requirement of 15,000 words per week on my book writing. Plus, daily updates to my Legionary Books social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter


Thank you for allowing me this brief introduction. Next up is Roman Legionary Caloric Consumption.


Until then, cheers!


James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The James Mace Reading List

The Average Combat Soldier's Age - An Uncomfortable Truth

Fitness of the Victorian Era Redcoat