New Book Release - Soldier of Rome: Traiana Victrix

  


#booksandbiceps 

My thirty-second book, Soldier of Rome: Traiana Victrix (Book 8 of the Artorian Dynasty), has been released! It is available on Kindle, paperback, and most eBook readers. It has already reached #1 in Ancient Military History on Amazon.

***

After decades of strife and a pair of bloodily savage wars, the Kingdom of Dacia is no more. With King Decebalus dead, and the surviving members of the royal family in captivity, an uneasy peace descends upon the new Roman Province of Dacia. The senate and people of Rome eagerly expect the return of the victorious Emperor Trajan. With equal eagerness, the people await the legendary great Dacian treasury, said to equal hundreds of tons in gold and silver, making its way to Rome. Like Vespasian before him, Trajan’s intent is twofold: to use the newly-won hoard for the benefit of all Romans, while leaving monuments that will echo across the ages.

For Tiberius Artorius Castus, his nine-year tenure with the emperor’s Imperial Horse Guards is about to end. His thoughts return to Britannia, the land of his youth and home of the Artorians for the past sixty years. While Emperor Trajan celebrates his triumph, Tiberius returns home to begin the next chapter in his life of service to the Empire.



Writing Updates

Traiana Victrix took a little longer than expected, though this was in part due to extra research. I was also conflicted where to end the story, and what should go into the next volume. I ended up cutting around 10,000 words, pasting them into what will be the next book of the series,Soldier of Rome: Tigris and Euphrates. I'm currently reading a pair of biographies on Trajan and Hadrian which go into great detail about the Parthian War of 113 to 117. I'm uncertain how many books this will span. Every time I envision a story existing as a single volume of around 350 pages, it turns into two ... or sometimes five!

I'm also reading a rather fantastic book on the historical Lucius Artorius Castus, who I previous mentioned wanting to be the final Artorian of this series. While I'd originally considered him making our current protagonist, Tiberius Artorius Castus' son, from what I've read, he may have to come with the next generation. (Links to the books I'm reading below)

Outside of book writing, I'm preparing for my presentation and panel at the Idaho Writers Conference next month. The panel will be with three other gentlemen, discussing audibooks. My individual presentation is called, How War Shaped an Author's Journey. More on that to come.

Regarding a pending return to the British Empire (my other favourite period in history), I've made my flight reservations for the end of summer to hop across the pond to Britannia. Part of this trip will be road-tripping from Liverpool up to Fort George near Inverness, Scotland, with my good friend, Chris Simpson of the History Metal band, Forlorn Hope ... incidentally, their latest single, "The Last Ride," releases soon, with their next album, "Valour: Part I" later this summer. We'll be visiting multiple regimental museums as I begin compiling research notes for my upcoming Redcoat series.

  

Until next time, Happy reading!

Next: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The James Mace Reading List

The Average Combat Soldier's Age - An Uncomfortable Truth

Fitness of the Victorian Era Redcoat